Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Branching Out

I was browsing a site the other day which stated that the U.S. Presidential Seal and Flag shows a spread-winged eagle clutching an olive branch in one talon, and arrows of war in the other. When it was originally designed, the eagle looked towards the arrow-grasping talon, but was later redesigned so that the eagle looked towards the olive branch. The reasoning behind the change was that, although prepared for war, one should always look towards peace. This had me asking, "In all situations, do I look towards peace?".

In the past there have been many times where I've shown up prepared to do battle, times when I've shown love on my face but felt hate in my heart. Mostly the injuries have all been internal and the bleeding has been profuse, seemingly lasting years. Today I can't afford to be a waring fraction.

As an individual in recovery, holding an olive branch in both hands allows me a greater sense of peace of mind and a clearer connection to my Higher Power.

No comments: