Friday, December 01, 2006

Best Interest at Heart

When first asked the Twenty Questions, I answered most of them with a resounding yes, but there were a couple to which I replied no. One of them was Number 7, "Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking". It sounds crazy to hear myself say it now, but back then "lower companions" were "alcoholics" (imagine!) , or people who had a criminal element about them. After being in the program for a while I began to see that question in a different light.

When I was drinking with those who shared my obsession of the mind for alcohol, no one ever took away my car keys, questioned my insane decisions or my impaired judgement. No one put my needs before theirs or asked what was best for me, and yet these were the people with whom I spent all my time. I now understand that these people were my "lower companions" because they did not have my best interest at heart.

Today the people that I surround myself with love me unconditionally, value and respect my friendship, and won't co-sign my bullshit. It is in that kind of healthy environment that I too, can have my own best interest at heart.

No comments: