Thursday, January 25, 2007

Drawing Near, the Purest Form of Art

For the longest time, I thought that the first part of Step Two read, "Came to believe in a power greater than ourselves..." instead of "Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves...". That first part of Step Two was not about my believing, right there, right then, in a celestial being (which is why I got stuck on this step forever!). It was about opening my mind to the fact that there was a power greater than me.

That simple (?) admission was all that was required to move forward. At this point I wasn't expected to know who or what that power was, I didn't even know who or what I was. The only way I had a chance of figuring it all out was by working through the rest of the twelve steps (aka drawing near). In the Big Book it says, "When we drew near to Him He disclosed Himself to us! (We Agnostics, p.57, last line).

If I continue to draw near to Him (aka working the steps), who, and what else will disclose themselves to me?

11 comments:

dAAve said...

You are welcome to join us on the HNT site.

ArahMan7 said...

Thank for visiting. I wish (yet another wish) to be a great photographer like you. Even with all the automatic gizmo, whenever I snapped, it wouldn't do justice to me! Grrr!

Anyway, glad you did find my comment button. CCR? I'm a bit into retro. Glad you like it.

God's bless, mAAry AAnne.

Pammie said...

oh darlin'...I wrote a whole post on that line in the BB. It is my favorite line !!!! So glad to see that you are so hungry for sobriety....Recovery ROCKS. Your willingness really does show.

Michael said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog and referance to the 2nd step, I will be doing a lot of praying in the next few days since I will be meeting the young lady I have been talking to in Liverpool all going well on Thursday.
I keep imagining the worst case scenario which isnt helped by all the advice I have been given

Scott M. Frey said...

such an important distinction that, rather than in.. I made the mistake myself...

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful process, the steps that is. It is like many of those beautiful elements in your garden. With time, they become colorful and bloom for many to see -- the attraction. :)

Meg Moran said...

and remember too, that HE "could" resore us to sanity...not that he will right now, or always, or 100% of the time. Its team work. We must do the footwork. Wonderful post. Thanks

Scott W said...

Thanks for the reminder.

Cern said...

Hi mAAry AAnne.

I'm tee toal myself but suffer a severe mental disorder.

I'm struck by the similarity between your 12 step program and ours called Grow. After re-reading the Grow blue book I relised our program spun off AA in the 1950's.

Good Luck with your recovery.

Remember: If a thing is worth doing, I'ts worth doing badly - for a start, and while your improving.

owlhaven said...

hi from a fellow blogging chick!

Mary, mom to many

Anonymous said...

I agree. I kept getting hung up on the "God" word, but my own higher power for now is in the wisdom of my AA home group and my sponsor, and in the rest of the wind.

Maybe later on in my recovery I'll get a "better" H.P. but for now, this is working. :)

T.K.
My blog: http://www.sobertoday.org