Tuesday, January 16, 2007

United We Stand

I'd be hard put to decide on a favorite tradition, but I am quite fond of the first one. Tradition One, "Our common welfare should come first, our personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity."

There it is in black and white. My personal recovery depends upon my uniting with other alcoholics. Its the solution to all my problems. Its how the miracles happen. Its why members say, "Don't drink and go to meetings". In eleven years I've never heard anyone say, "Dont drink and stay home." For me its simple. I have to stay united to stay sober (physically, emotionally and spiritually).

When I was a kid I always wanted to be Maid Marian. I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do than be with Robin Hood (aka Errol Flynn), Fryer Tuck and all the Merry Men (and women). I guess in some way I've gotten my wish. I'm very grateful to have made it here alive, and to be part of this miraculous, "erratic band of alcoholics." (12&12 p130)

9 comments:

dAAve said...

Tradition One is crucial. I see people fighting it all the time and I watch as many return from a relapse.

Pammie said...

The fellowship is wonderful, and powerful, and magical....it can carry you through times that you could never have done alone.

Gooey Munster said...

I am glad, more so, grateful, that I will never have to do this thing alone.

ArahMan7 said...

That's all true and I wish you will put a link from an addict friend all the way from Malaysia.

Just joking. Link or no link, united we stand!

Meg Moran said...

yes! I wanted to be Maid Marion too! And be beautiful and be swept up and carried off, hair flying in the wind....oh gosh the rest is private.

Laura Brown said...

I wanted to be a pirate queen. Maid Marion could have sailed with me. :)

Hope things keep going forth for you Mary Anne. My uncle was an alcoholic and I was really glad when he worked to change that. I'd always liked him but I liked him a lot more when he stopped drinking and I felt he really was spending time with us. If that makes any sense. :)

One good thing about it is that I have never become a drinker myself. I think I was 'scared straight'. I hope your family and friends are all supportive and let you know how glad they are to have the real you around.

Scott M. Frey said...

I got drunk, WE Stay sober. I know in my heart of hearts that I cannot stay sober without you people, no way no how!

Michael said...

Strangely I live about a mile or so from the site of Robin Hoods true grave at Kirklees in Yorkshire. Strangely its all overgrown and apparently very haunted up there.
No one seems to considder online dating a good idea, maybe I do need to get out more, though the lady I am talking to on the net at moment seems really genuine anmd nice
anyway thanks for the comment but libraries you have to be quiet so I cant really use it to meet ladies, I am also so shy I wish I could open up more

Shadow said...

hi and thanks for your comments on my blog. by the looks of it you have one amazing garden... beautiful! the flowers, the colours, and thanx for sharing them.... it's strange how just when i think i have read it all, know it all, someone writes something that's new and makes complete sense. and your 'we have to stick together' is the one for me today. i've been struggling to make hubby understand the need for me to stay in contact with my rehab buddies. in sa, meetings are not a big thing and do not form a large part of rehab. there are meetings every 2 weeks, and i've only gone to about 2 since completing rehab. but i've staying in contact with my group by phone, they are scattered all over the show. and hubby can't understand why i can't put it behind me, move on.... now i can show him this... thanks.