Sunday, June 18, 2006

Can't See the Forest

Last month I decided to re-landscape my garden as it had become completely overgrown with weeds and some of the more invasive plants. I began by digging up shrubs that needed to be moved and put them in pots; rose bushes were cut back, patio stones moved, and rock pathways designed. Ten days into the project I left on a short trip to visit family. Unfortunately, while I was away, I sustained a small back injury. This meant that I was unable, upon my return home, to continue working in the garden. I'd stand in the middle of the backyard and lament about how beautiful it would be when it was finished. There was no clear time frame as to when I could begin to work on it again, and this left me frustrated and angry. I was totally living in the future, and unhappily doing so. I couldn't see that, although the backyard was in a state of disarray, there was beauty all around me. The Periwinkles, Wandering Jews and Columbines were in bloom, and the Poppies were full of promise of their glorious petals. The Peonies would open soon, along with the many rose buds that were climbing along the fence. I was spending so much time envisioning how beautiful the garden would be when finished, that I couldn't see what was right in front of me. When I finally realized this, I had to ask myself, "In what other situations in my life am I not able to see the forest for the trees?"

No comments: